Pretty pictures give you a boost on any day of the year. It may be raining outside, but you can always escape with these pretty pictures here. Whether a beautiful landscape is what you’re after, or a cute puppy – we’ve got it covered with these 70 pretty pictures below.
70 Pretty Pictures
Love Those Pretty Pictures?
If so, then you may find these surprising facts about art interesting.
- From 1912-1948, the Olympic Games awarded medals for artworks inspired by sport.
- The Oxford English Dictionary offers 12 different meanings for the noun ‘art’.
- A world record of 8ft 6in for the highest flying toast from a pop-up toaster was set at the Royal College of Art graduate show in 2008.
- When the Mona Lisa was stolen from the Louvre in 1911, the empty space it left on the wall attracted more visitors than the painting had.
- In 1961, Henri Matisse’s painting Le Bateau was hung upside down at New York’s Museum of Modern Art for 46 days before anyone noticed.
- The only painting sold by Vincent van Gogh in his lifetime was The Red Vineyard which was bought by the Belgian artist Anna Boch.
- Four of the 21 most expensive paintings sold at auction are by van Gogh and four by Picasso.
- The phrase “state-of-the-art” applied to the latest technology was first recorded in 1955.
- Researchers find that learning art correlates strongly with higher achievement in math and reading.
- Art programs are mandatory in countries that rank the highest for math and science.
- Da Vinci’s other most famous work—which can be seen in the Convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan, Italy—originally included Jesus’ feet. But in 1652, while installing a doorway in the refectory where the painting is on view, builders cut into the bottom-center of the mural, lopping off Jesus’ feet.
- Roman statues were made with detachable heads, so that one head could be removed and replaced by another.